How to Take Care of Your Lips for Guys - Lip Care Guide
Find out how to take care of your lips for guys. If you have lips, they need care, regardless of your gender. For all the guys out there dealing with dry, chapped lips, here’s a guide for keeping your lips hydrated and preventative tips to help keep them that way.
Why should you take care of your lips?
The skin of your lips is thinner and more sensitive than the rest of your skin. Your lips also don’t produce sebum, which acts as a protective barrier for your facial skin against harsh elements, so they are especially vulnerable to wind, heat, and cold weather.
Since it’s so easy for your lips to dry out, it’s important to help them retain moisture. When left to their own devices, lips become chapped and cracked, which can be painful and frustrating to deal with. The key to keeping your lips healthy is to hydrate them daily, exfoliate regularly, and stop licking them.
How to Take Care of Your Lips for Guys
An effective lip care routine only consists of two things: hydration and exfoliation. Not every person will need to exfoliate, since healthy lips are not flaky and dry. However, if your lips are prone to chapping, you’ll want to incorporate regular exfoliation into your routine.
Step-by-Step Lip Care Routine
Do you want healthy, soft lips? Follow this easy step-by-step lip care routine for beautiful, happy lips! Step 1 is to remove any old or dead skin cells with a lip scrub. Step 2 is to apply a lip balm or moisturizer. Step 3 is to protect your lips from the sun with SPF. And finally, step 4 is to reapply your lip balm or moisturizer as needed! Have fun and enjoy your beautiful, healthy lips! :D
Keep them hydrated
Apply a lip balm any time your lips start feeling dry. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Many store-bought lip balms contain chemicals and added fragrances that can dry your lips out even more. Consider buying or making your own all-natural lip balm instead.
- Apply lip balm liberally all over your lips, including the corners, using an applicator or your fingers.
- Reapply as often as you need to throughout the day, but at least two to four times, for maximum effectiveness.
- If you’re spending time outdoors, make sure to use a lip balm containing sunscreen to keep your lips protected from harmful UV rays.
Exfoliate them regularly
Exfoliating your lips between one to two times each week can help eliminate the dry, flaky skin that builds up on your lips and restore their softness. Incorporate it into your nighttime routine by following these steps:
- Apply a small amount of lip scrub to your fingertips
- Gently rub the scrub over your lips in small, circular motions for 30 seconds
- Leave the scrub on your lips for up to 10 minutes, which can help the nourishing oils soak in
- Rinse with lukewarm water
- Pat dry with a clean, soft towel
- Apply a hydrating lip balm for added moisture
Stop licking them
You may be tempted to lick your lips when they’re feeling dry, but don’t. Licking them leads to more dryness since your saliva strips your lips of their moisture. Habitual licking can also cause yeast to build up on your lips, which can lead to painful inflammation at the corners and around your lips.
Don’t pick at them
If your lips are dry and flaking, don’t chew or pick at the skin. Inflamed, itchy lips are frustrating, but picking at them can cause them to bleed and become infected. Instead, exfoliate the dry skin following the steps above and apply a hydrating lip balm.
Drink more water
If you’re dehydrated, so are your lips. While not drinking enough water isn’t the only factor in dry lips, it can contribute, so make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day to help keep your skin and lips hydrated.
Eat more fruit and leafy greens
Everyone knows that the vitamins found in fruit and leafy greens are important for our bodies, but they’re essential for keeping your lips healthy as well. Load up on leafy greens at every meal and remember to eat fruit as often as you can for an extra dose of important vitamins.
Basic DIY Lip Balm Recipe
Here’s a no-nonsense lip balm recipe to keep your lips soft, smooth, and healthy:
- 2 tbsp cocoa butter
- 1 tbsp beeswax pellets
- 1 tbsp castor oil
- Melt cocoa butter and beeswax using a double boiler over medium heat for around 10 to 15 minutes
- Add the castor oil and stir well
- Remove from heat and carefully pour into lip balm container
- Allow the mixture to cool and solidify for about 30 minutes before using
And that’s all there is to it. Make sure the mixture has cooled completely before attempting to use it so that you don’t burn your lips or spill the mixture.
Share on Pinterest
About the Author: Jenni Mac
Hi, I’m Jenni! I am a health and beauty blogger that loves making homemade beauty products. I have been blogging for over three years now, my first blog is RawBeautyBlog.com - it is all about natural products, DIY skin care, inner beauty, and anything else to do with natural living.
Here you will learn all about DIY lip balm! From DIY recipes, to recipes for lip scrubs and glosses, this site has it all! With witty posts about how to take care of your lips in the winter, you'll find everything you need to keep them happy and healthy.
2022 © DIY Lip Balm