Do you know how to make homemade lip balm with coconut oil? Coconut oil has been touted as a miracle product for years, thanks to its hair and skincare benefits. It contains a wide array of beneficial fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals to help soothe the skin and remedy dry, chapped lips.
If your lips have been feeling dry this winter, try using coconut oil on your lips to reap the benefits of its moisturizing and protective properties. In this blog, we’ll talk about the benefits of using coconut oil and the best recipes for your next homemade lip balm.
What is coconut oil?
Coconut oil is extracted from the fruit of coconut palm trees. It’s primarily made up of saturated fats like capric, caprylic, and lauric acids, so it prevents dryness by creating a protective barrier and hydration for your lips.
Stores typically carry two different types of coconut oil: virgin and refined. While both contain healthy fatty acids, virgin coconut oil is less processed and has more nutrients while refined oil is stripped of some of its health benefits during processing. When using coconut oil in lip balms, make sure to buy high-quality virgin coconut oil for the most benefits.
What are the benefits of coconut oil for lips?
We love using coconut oil in our lip balm recipes since it’s easy to spread and provides a ton of great benefits for our lips. It’s full of nourishing nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and Omega-3 fatty acids, so it helps heal dry lips while providing much-needed moisture. It also absorbs quickly, leaving your lips feeling hydrated without any stickiness.
How to make homemade lip balm with coconut oil and honey?
Coconut oil and honey work great together since they both contain moisturizing and healing properties. Honey provides a sweet scent as it soothes the lips, and coconut oil is perfect for coating the lips in a protective barrier to shield them from harmful elements. Here are our favorite homemade lip balm recipes featuring coconut oil and honey:
Honey Coconut Lip Balm Recipe
This recipe is super easy to start with since it only requires three ingredients: coconut oil, honey, and beeswax pellets. It’s extremely hydrating thanks to coconut oil and beeswax, and the honey provides a great fragrance and additional health benefits.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp beeswax pellets
- Add the coconut oil and beeswax to a glass measuring cup or any other glass jar that allows you to pour easily.
- Place the measuring cup in a pot filled with 2 inches of water – this is known as a double boiler and can help you melt the ingredients more evenly.
- Melt over medium heat for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the honey and stir well.
- Carefully pour into lip balm tubes or any other type of container you want to use.
- Allow the mixture to cool and solidify for about 30 minutes before using.
Honey Lemon Lip Balm Recipe
This recipe uses coconut oil and beeswax for their moisturizing qualities. It also incorporates honey and lemon essential oil to give it a delicious, citrusy scent.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp beeswax pellets
- 1 tsp honey
- 10 to 12 drops of lemon essential oil
1. Melt the coconut oil and beeswax using a double boiler over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Add the honey and stir well.
3. Remove from heat and add the lemon essential oil.
4. Carefully pour into lip balm tubes or any other type of container you want to use.
5. Allow the mixture to cool and solidify for about 30 minutes before using.
Share on Pinterest
About the Author: Jenni Mac
Hi, I’m Jenni! I am a health and beauty blogger that loves making homemade beauty products. I have been blogging for over three years now, my first blog is RawBeautyBlog.com - it is all about natural products, DIY skin care, inner beauty, and anything else to do with natural living.
Here you will learn all about DIY lip balm! From DIY recipes, to recipes for lip scrubs and glosses, this site has it all! With witty posts about how to take care of your lips in the winter, you'll find everything you need to keep them happy and healthy.
2022 © DIY Lip Balm